Donna of Purple Kappa was nice enough to mention in a comment on my last post that the Coraline makers sent mystery boxes to 50 lucky bloggers. You can view the contents of many of the boxes here and here.
Oh how I wish I could have got one of those boxes but who says I can't still get a Coraline box just not from the movie makers themselves? So I was thinking, and this is very preliminary thinking, but maybe a Coraline Mystery Box Swap might be fun? The movie doesn't even come out until February 6th so this is really premature, and I really don't have the time right now, but here's sort of what I have in mind if we did it and there was enough interest:
1) 50 swappers to create 50 Coraline inspired boxes, but on a much smaller scale.
2) You must fill the box with several Coraline inspired objects. You don't need to see the movie to participate but you must at least familiarize yourself with the movie by viewing the trailer and looking at the movie website.
3) You must line the bottom of your box with red velvet and catalog the items you are sending with paper and pushpins. Refer to the Coraline box link for samples of the original boxes.
4) You must include an envelope with a letter inside the box to the recipient with a short description of its contents.
5) You must include two small black buttons in your box.
6) All the boxes will be numbered and your assigned box number should be attached to the outside of the box.
7) You will need to post pictures of your box on your blog when you receive it.
8) You will send and receive only one box and you will be responsible for all postage costs for the box you send.
9) You will not be receiving a box from the same person you are sending a box to. And you will not know who you will receive a box from.
10) You must have a blog to participate.
I''m thinking that small papier mache boxes, cigar boxes or even small toy hat boxes that you buy at the craft store might be the best way to go because they are lightweight for shipping but still sturdy and inexpensive. Anyway, like I said, just some preliminary thoughts.
Leave me a comment if you might be interested. Please note I'm not signing people up right now, this is still something I'm just considering.
THE SWAP HAS ENDED - THANKS!!