Well, it's been almost nine months since the last postcard swap, so I think its about time for a new one. And what better way to ring in 2006 than with a bunch of fun snail mail bringing tidings of the new year from crafty folk around the world.
As I was saying yesterday, I've always been interested in the Japanese New Years postcard tradition of nengajo. This custom is similar to the sending of Christmas cards except the Japanese postal system times it so that the postcards arrive exactly on New Years Day. It is also customary for nengajo to include a picture of the Asian zodiac and 2006 is the Year of the Dog so here's what I'm thinking for the swap.
You will send and receive 10 postcards with the words "Happy New Years" that include a dog in some shape or form (i.e. picture, photo, print, or even the word "dog" spelled out) on the front.
Here's the rest of the doggie details:
1) Want to play? Then email me your name, URL for your blog and your snail mail address to mochiPCswap @ yahoo . com (remove spaces) by Friday, January 13, 2006. This time I'm also going to require that you have a blog to participate, so if you don't have one please start one now.
2) Sometime on Monday, January 16th, 2006 you will receive an email from me with the names and addresses of 10 people you will be sending your barky greetings to.
3) Get your paws busy and start crafting, printing, pasting or photographing your postcards.
4) As with the last swap, the postcards must be craft related (not bought) and can be either: a) hand made, b) collages, c) photographs of a completed project (softie, sewing, knitting, quilting, etc.), d) copies of an illustration/picture/painting you made, e) instructions for a craft project.
And don't forget to include your blog address, the words "Happy New Year" and a dog somewhere on the postcard. Also be sure to take a photo of your postcard before you send it and email it to me so that I can add it to the postcard gallery.
5) Run on down to your nearest
hydrant postal box on or before Saturday, January 28, 2006 (Chinese New Years eve) and mail your postcards out.
6) Sit! by your postal box and wag your tail as your canine cards arrive.
7) The Poochie postcard flickr gallery will go up sometime mid February.
Details, deadlines and updates on the swap can also be found on the postcard swap page. Thanks!